We fight WikiSpam day and night! :)
Join The Team
You’re welcome to come help us out – just ask one of the existing administrators for an admin password. The only real job we have is maintaining BannedContent and BannedHosts.
The powers of an administrator:
- Lock and unlock the entire site in case of an attack.
- Rollback all changes from a certain point in time (the result are a gazillion changes which can be reverted like ordinary changes).
- Search and replace over the entire site (the result are a gazillion changes which can be reverted like ordinary changes).
- Bans and locks have no effect on administrators.
- Maintain BannedHosts and BannedContent to ban hostnames, IP numbers, or page content using regular expression.
- Lock and unlock pages.
- Change the list of URL abbreviations by modifying the InterMap page.
- Change the list of sites connected via NearLinks by modifying the NearMap page
- Run maintenance at any time.
Old InterMap discussion is at InterMapDiscussion.
Whois can tell you whether you should bother banning just one IP, or an entire range. I use http://network-tools.com/ when working on a system that does not provide whois.
So when you notice spammers, first look up their whois info. Find the part showing the range and name of the company, then ban the entire range. Document it here on this page and add a timestamp. We will remove the bans after a few days, hoping that the spammers moved on.