This page is about Emacs regions and the different operations and commands for manipulating the region.
Click on the heading above to list all pages related to regions.
The text between point and mark is the region. The active region is essentially what some other programs call the “selection”. The secondary selection is similar to the region, but it is more persistent.
- BasicNarrowing – Isolates the region, so you can limit operations to region text. See also Narrowing.
- CuaMode – Use key bindings compatible with the Common User Access (CUA) system
- DeleteSelectionMode – Replaces the region with what you type. Backspace (DEL) deletes the region.
- KillingAndYanking – The default Emacs behavior for copying, killing (cutting), and yanking (pasting).
- PcSelectionMode – Treats the region like MS Windows and Motif.
- RectangleCommands – Operate on the column of text between point and mark.
- RectangleMark – Highlights rectangular areas instead of a continuous stretches of text.
- RectangleAdd – Adds the numbers in a rectangle.
- ShiftSelectMode – Expand regions with Shift and a navigation command.
- TransientMarkMode – Highlights the region whenever it is active (you can activate it using
- ApplyFunctionOnMultipleRegions – Applies a function to several regions at the same time.
- AnchoredTranspose – Transposes a phrase around an anchor phrase. In other words it swaps 2 regions.
- anything-show-kill-ring – Narrow
‘kill-ring’ using multiple patterns.
- AutoMark – Push a mark after selected commands
- Bookmark+ – Name regions and make them persistent. Revisit bookmark to visit and activate region.
- ChangingCursorDynamically – Find the region easily by making the cursor more visible when Emacs is idle.
- CopyAndPaste – Alternatives to default KillingAndYanking for copying, killing, and yanking.
- CopyingWholeLines – Different ways of copying an entire line to the kill-ring.
- CopyWithoutSelection – Simply copy current line, current word and current paragraph to the kill-ring without select to each line, each word or each paragraph
- EevMode –
‘M-x eev’ saves region to a temporary script. Later you can execute the script.
- https://github.com/magnars/expand-region.el Expand region increases the selected region
- FastNav – Set mark quickly at the next/previous nth occurence of a character while point is kept.
- HideRegion – Hide and show multiple regions.
- HighlightTemporarily – Highlight a region (includes marker pens etc.).
- Icicles – Persistent, multiple regions as bookmarks. Select a bookmarked region, search one, etc. – Icicles - Bookmark Enhancements
- IndirectBuffers#IndirectRegion – Edit a region of text in a different mode.
- MarkLines – Keyboard emulation of triple-click line selection. (Incompatible with CuaMode.)
- ModeLinePosition – Show the size of the region in the mode-line, whenever the region is active (TransientMarkMode).
- Mouse+ – Highlight the yank position while you press
‘mouse-2’, so you hit the right spot.
- MoveLine, MoveRegion, MoveText – Move lines or region.
- MultipleNarrowings – Use `
C-x n x x x...’ to cycle a ring of narrowings (buffer restrictions).
- SelectiveUndo – Undo changes within the region.
- Subedit – Edit part of a buffer in a new buffer.
- SwapRegions – Swap two regions.
- thingopt-el Expand region increases the selected region
- trans-regions.el – Transpose regions.
- VisibleMark – Make the mark position visible
- wimpy-del.el – Require confirmation when deleting a large region.
See also CategoryEditing.