I started using GNU Emacs in 1993.
Problems with Emacs 23 on Windows
- If git.exe is in the PATH, attempting to view a file in a directory containing a .git folder will hang the editor until issuing C-g (quit).
- Why package a very old ctags.exe and etags.exe that don’t work worth a damn? If we are going to drag those binaries around, why not replace them with ExuberantCtags?
Problems with Emacs 24 on Windows
Everything seems fine when I start a new instance, but after a while I start getting errors when attempting to launch external programs.
- Using svn.exe from within EShell causes: Creating pipe: no error
‘browse-url-of-dired-file’ to launch explorer.exe against a directory gives: Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error “ShellExecute? failed: Not enough storage is available to process this command.”)
‘browse-url-of-dired-file’ against a .cmd file gives Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error “Spawning child process” “resource temporarily unavailable”)
- PlainTextWiki? minor-mode to navigate within emacs and generate PlainLink?-ed HTML.
- See: http://CommunityWiki.org/en/PlainLink and http://CommunityWiki.org/en/PlainTextWiki
- ConcurrentEmacs: Some buffers may be locked, but general input is never blocked.
- MyopiMacs: View small portions of extremely large files using very little memory or bandwidth.
- Retrieve only enough data to fill screen (or maybe 3 screens to pre-cache the preceeding and following screens for quicker navigation)
- Use ideas from HexviewMode for local files.
- Use ‘Range’ specifier with HTTP ‘GET’ verb.
- Use ‘REST’ verb for FTP.
- Network writes sent with something like xdiff, rsync if available.
- MinEmacs: Minimal subset of license, doc, c, lisp, data files competitive with other small editors.
- Signed and unsigned plugins and EmacsLisp are installed on demand via TCP or removable media.
- See: DELPS
- Integrate FireFox rendering. Investigating http://RobRohan.com/projects/9ne and http://JoeGanley.com/code/jslisp.html for now.
- JIT compiler with FFI and SWIG for high performace and trivial connectivity.
- Download RTSP or mms streams.
- MenuClock? — show the time as a menu item.
- media-editor.el — View and Edit audio and video with external tools (for now) with those windows set to always-on-top.
- Must be able to split/join lossy-compressed video and audio without recompressing.
- dired-sort-map.el — in Dired: press s then s, x, t or n to sort by Size, eXtension, Time or Name
- SimpleIMAPClient — Dumb proof of concept in 100 lines. requires InterpreterMinor.
- InterpreterMinor — Provide navigation, clickability, folding, interpretation.
- EmacsWebBrowser — Ridiculous browser in 300 lines; no dependencies.
- FrameControl? — Control frame size and position.
- WThirtyTwoDev — Develop w32 apps using vss, msdev, cdb.
- Explorer — Act more like MicroSCOft?’s explorer.exe.
- http://patware.FreeShell.org/.code/etym.el — Poor attempt at a PlainTextWiki?. Requires InterpreterMinor.
MinEmacs and GNUnix
MinEmacs wants to help the OneTrueEditor become a lighter yet even more instantly extendable environment by repackaging GNU Emacs as a careful minimum of bundled functionality that also makes available every EmacsLisp package ever written through available through AutoExtend.
Personal homepage: http://patware.FreeShell.org/agnu.htm