This category is about packaging Emacs extension, or about utilities that can automate searching, downloading and installing extensions.
- ELPA – Emacs Lisp Package Archive. This is the GNU the standard repository.
- MELPA – an ELPA-compatible repository, built automatically on their server from upstream sources using recipes
- Marmalade – an ELPA-compatible repository, where users upload their own packages
- DELPS – Distributed Emacs Lisp Package System used by Epackage. Install Git packaged repositories.
- Emacsmirror – Collects packages and distributes them as Git repositories.
There seem to be earlier efforts that have basically been obsoleted by the inclusion of ELPA into Emacs:
Emacs 24 comes with a built-in package manager using ELPA:
Users on the EmacsChannel report the following alternatives still being used:
- el-get – one regularly sees packages that claim to be available via el-get, but not via any ELPA-compatible repository
These seem to be earlier efforts that have basically been obsoleted by the inclusion of ELPA into Emacs: