The GTK-Toolkit changed it’s default file chooser dialog to a new interface which seen rather controversial. It is not a rudimentary as it looks, though.
- Open a location bar which uses completion and is generally helpful.
- Open the location bar at the root directory (just as in Emacs
- Open the location bar at your home directory (again, just as in Emacs
- Up or down one directory (down to a previously visited directory, not the selected item in the list).
- Jump to your home directory
- Jump to your desktop directory (e.g. ~/Desktop)
- Jump to one of the bookmarks
And there is a right mouse context menu which let’s you toggle the visibility of hidden files.
If you want to use the old file dialog set
(setq x-gtk-use-old-file-dialog t)
See also the variable