ChongYidong has announced the release of Emacs 24.1:
GNU Emacs 24.1 has been released. It is available on the [ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/ GNU ftp site]. Note the list of mirrors.
Here are some new features in Emacs 24.1. See etc/NEWS for a complete list.
- New packaging system and interface (M-x list-packages) for downloading and installing extensions. A default package archive is hosted by GNU and maintained by the Emacs developers.
- Support for displaying and editing bidirectional text, including right-to-left scripts such as Arabic and Hebrew.
- Support for lexical scoping in Emacs Lisp.
- Improvements to the Custom Themes system (M-x customize-themes).
- Unified and improved completion system in many modes and packages.
- Support for GnuTLS (for built-in TLS/SSL encryption), GTK+ 3, ImageMagick, SELinux, and Libxml2.