Clicking the title heading to search for pages about writing in natural languages with Emacs.
Dictionary and Thesaurus
- DictMode – also comes as a debian package called dictionary-el
- Xemacs’ – dictionary.el is probably different from dictionary-el See DictMode above.
- DictWeb – provides a possibility to query a dict server
- DictEm – another dict server querier, using the
- wordnik.el – look up word definitions on WordNik.com, and display them.
- LookUp – “Lookup provides the simple and unified search interface for the commercial electric dictionary as well as the network dictionary server .” Available as the debian package lookup-el, woody onwards.
- Hachette (hachette.el) – looks up online French dictionaries.
- RDictCc – is an english-german (and vice versa) dictionary written in Ruby. It includes an emacs module which integrates it into emacs. Get it from apps section at the author’s homepage.
- ThesauriAndSynonyms – Finding roughly equivalent words in natural languages. Lists applications to other related information and tasks.
Notes and Authoring
- DeftMode – Quickly browse, filer, and edit directories of plain text notes.
- PersonalDiary – Using Emacs to maintain a simple daily journal / personal diary.
- Journal – Using Emacs to maintain a simple daily journal. (not the same as JournalMode)
- JournalMode – Using Emacs to maintain a daily journal. Also required EmacsWikiMode. (not the same as Journal)
- OrgMode --Org-mode is an Emacs mode for note keeping, project planning, TODO lists and authoring. Particularly good at organizing notes. Like in a journal.
- Screenplay – Write a dramatic screenplay.
- NaturalLanguageMode – Conceptual ideas for how Emacs could support writers.
- PredictiveMode – minor mode that tries to predict the rest of the word, and offers you an appropriate completion.
- PrintingFromEmacs – Publishing your written work.
- UnDoc – Convert Word files to plain text.
- UnPdf – Convert PDF files to plain text.
- UnXls – Convert Excel files to plain text.
- WriteOrDieMode – Minor mode emulating some of the behaviour from Dr. Wicked's webapp of the same name.
- RefdbMode – Insert and look up citations stored in a SQL database
- MemoPop – Helps you pop up and pop out a specific file buffer easily.
- AcroBuffer – Expands acronyms correctly for writing in plain text.
- PopularWords – Limit yourself to the most popular words.
Note: This page overlaps with material at CategoryEducation, and occasionally may need to synchronize.
See also these sections of: