Dired is the main mode for Emacs file-manager operations. The name “Dired” stands for “directory editor”.
A single Dired buffer can display the contents of a single directory, or it can include listings of one or more sub-directories. A Dired buffer can alternatively display an arbitrary set of files and directories, from any file systems.
A Dired buffer can display a filtered subset of directory contents, and it can show either just file names or additional file details.
All the operations you expect from a typical file-manager application are available in Dired, plus some that are specific to Emacs.
You can use
‘C-x C-q’ to make a Dired buffer editable. This enters WDired mode (writable Dired). For example, you can use this to bulk-rename files, or to change file ownerships and privileges.
You can operate on multiple files after marking them. The usual mark is
‘*’, but the mark used for deletion is
‘D’ marks are also called flags, and the operation of marking with
‘D’ is also called flagging.
You visit a directory in Dired mode using key bindings
‘C-x 4 d’, and
‘C-x 5 d’.
The menu bar is helpful for learning operations and key bindings. As always,
‘C-h m’ provides information on the mode. Consult the Emacs manual (
‘C-h r’) for more info – choose Dired under Advanced Features. You can also read about Dired online.)
Dired as Distributed with Gnu Emacs
Some Tips and Features
3rd-Party Packages That Provide Dired Features
- In the bookmark list, `
M-d >’ opens Dired on the marked file and directory bookmarks (only).
- In Dired,
‘C-j’ jumps among different “views” or states of the same Dired buffer.
- You can bookmark any Dired buffer – its current state. Jump among Dired bookmarks using
‘J’ in Dired (or
‘C-x j d’ globally).
- In Dired,
‘M-b’ bookmarks each of the marked files and dirs.
- Dired+ – Extends standard Emacs libraries
dired-x.el in many ways. (see also: DiredPlus)
- DiredBookmarks – Save/restore Dired state persistently, including switches, marked files, inserted subdirectories, and hidden (sub)directories.
- diredc – Dual-pane Dired with many Midnight Commander features, and more.
- DiredDetails – Hide or show file and directory details in a Dired listing. When details are hidden, all you see (and all IncrementalSearch sees) are the file names.
- DiMode – Simple directory editor for GNU Emacs, by JoeKeane.
- DiredDragAndDrop – Drag-and-drop files.
- DiredEfap – Rename the file at point in Dired.
- DiredFileTypeFaces – Colorful file names in Dired buffers.
- Diredful – Colorful file names in Dired buffers.
- dired-hacks – Collection of Dired packages that add filtering, subtrees, intelligent file opening,
‘avfs’ support, coloring and more.
- DiredSync – Synchronize directories within Dired.
- DiredView – Browse and select files using the first character of their names.
- dired-icon – Display file icons in Dired buffers.
- dired-toggle.el – A simple way to toggle Dired buffer for current directory, similar to
- dired-visit-history.el – Add Dired visits to
- Files+ – (see also: FilesPlus)
‘C-x C-f’) and related commands with Dired
- Together with ls-lisp+.el, modifies
‘insert-directory’ so that Dired’s second header line lists the number of files:
space used 49439 available 56233408
- `grep' the marked files
- Icicles - Dired Enhancements – minibuffer regexp completion and completion-candidate cycling to navigate directories and perform operations on files
- DiredIsearch – Run
‘isearch’ in Dired, but match only file names
- DiredLis – Letter
‘isearch’ in Dired mode, no need to use keys to activate
- MidnightCommanderMode – Emulates Midnight Commander.
- NortonCommanderMode – Emulates Norton Commander.
- OperatingOnFilesInDired – Open files using associated applications.
- Sunrise Commander – Midnight Commander clone (github).
- ThumbsMode – Automatic image previewing.
- Trashcan – A recoverable file-deletion system that behaves like the trash can or recycle bin of many operating systems.
- Virtual Dired – Edit text files that list files as if they were directory listings.
MS Windows Tips and Features For Dired
CategoryDirectories CategoryModes CategoryProgrammerUtils